Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Zebras

Zebras

I’m a big fan of zebras.  I just love seeing the contrast between the white skin and the black stripes, and thinking about how the patterns on zebras are as individual to them as fingerprints are to us.  I love to see the alternating stripes of black and white in the hair of their manes.   While very striking to look at, I will admit that zebras are a little boring to stitch.  I’m working on a very large needlepoint canvas over 5 feet tall—it is a zebra standing in tall grasses, looking at you from over her shoulder, with a brightly colored bird perched on her back.  It’s taking me a long time to make my way up those long black and white legs, only to be followed by a big expanse of black and white rump!  Stitching the colorful bird will be my reward for getting that far up the canvas.

But I digress.  Baby zebras or foals are born with brown and white stripes which turn to black and white as they mature.  There are three species of zebras in Africa, and the striping patterns vary somewhat among the species, particularly the width and length of the stripes.  All species have a triangular shape to the stripes on their forequarters. 

 The form of camouflage created by the black and white stripes is called “disruptive coloration” and breaks up the outline of the body.  This serves to make them look less distinct during times of low light when their predators are most active.  The stripes also serve to dissipate heat and help the zebras handle the intense solar radiation of their environments.

I find the origin and role of a zebra’s stripes interesting to think about, but mostly I just love to take in their beauty.

5 comments:

  1. They are so cute! I love zebras too. congrats on finishing A-Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, even on the last day of the challenge, I learned something that my 6th grader may not know. That will be very helpful. I am totally savoring “disruptive coloration” as it rolls out of my mouth. Zebras are beautiful animals.

    http://completelycalifornia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. they really are pretty amazing---congrats on an educational challenge, dot!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you tied your stitchery into this subject, as well!!! And once again, like Ann above, I learned SEVERAL new things from this post!!!! The picture is fantastic - makes me wonder why I haven't studied them more! Congratulations on finishing another A-Z in incredible style! I absolutely love doing it with you!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A 5 foot needlepoint? That's huge! Good luck with it.

    Congrats on finishing the challenge.

    ReplyDelete