Monday, April 15, 2013

Monterey Bay Aquarium

Monterey Bay Aquarium

We recently spent a long weekend in Monterey, California celebrating my 25th anniversary with the company for which I work.  One of the highlights of the trip was our visit to the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

I hadn’t visited for a few years, so there were a few exhibits I was looking forward to seeing.  The Jellies Experience was a lot of fun, as the curators played on the similarities of jellyfish movement and the lava lamps of the 60s and 70s, and the exhibit definitely had a psychedelic feel to it.  These invertebrates were mesmerizing in form and motion.


The Secret Lives of Seahorses was another fascinating exhibit.  What amazing creatures these are, with their prehensile tails wrapping around the vegetation in their niches.  Did you know it’s the males of the species that give birth and raise the young?  Pictured below is the leafy seahorse, well camouflaged by its anatomy.














Alas, no sightings of my favorite seabird, the pelican, however we enjoyed the sights and sounds of plenty of other seabirds, including a seagull who came and perched itself on the balcony railing while we sat watching the sun set over the Monterey Bay.  All in all, a wonderful time in a wonderful place!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, the pictures are fascinating and you once again added information to the interest you inspire! And oh, to have been sitting on the balcony watching the sunset with you...!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely post Dot! i visited Monterey aquarium some years ago when we drove down from San Francisco with my husband's sister - we live in South Africa and it was wonderful to see this part of the world. Your photos are lovely thank you!


    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. I have always been fascinated with seahorses. Hi, I am your newest follower from the A to Z challenge. I am number 528 on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you see the otters????? I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy aquariums, especially ones with creatures that are new to me. I find jellyfish beautiful and sea horses intriguing. Great post. :)

    Have fun with a-z.

    ReplyDelete