Friday, April 5, 2013

Embracing Dog Hair

Embracing Dog Hair

Continuing with yesterday’s theme, dog hair is part of life with a dog, particularly breeds with double coats.  If you can’t deal a with a little dog hair, perhaps a dog isn’t the animal companion for you.
I’ve found that dealing with dog hair just basically requires an attitude adjustment.  Dog hair is a given, so deal with it.  Sure, the black hair clings to my light-colored pants, and the tan hair clings to the black pants, and I’m fine with the notion that no outfit is complete without a few dog hairs.  In fact, some people have actually MADE garments from their dog's hair, having collected the shedded hair, cleaned it, spun it into yarn and knit it up into leg warmers, scarves, and even sweaters!  I admit to having toyed with this idea but abandoned it after trying to find a place to store the third trash bag of hair.

From my perspective, dogs are worth every single hair that falls off their bodies.  Who greets you as enthusiastically as your dog when you return home?  Who loves you completely and unconditionally when you do something wrong or stupid?  Who is there by your side when you are sad or lonely or scared?  For many folks, the answer is their dog.

My attitude:  don’t hate the dog hair, figure out how to embrace it.  This is just not a fight you’re going to win, so figure out how to live with it.  Love your dog with all your heart and don’t sweat the small stuff.   Learn to enjoy vacuuming, and appreciate the workout you get pushing that machine around your floors every day.  It’s the best investment you’ll make.

6 comments:

  1. yes it is a small price to pay for such love huh dot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I made my peace with it ages ago. I've accidentally eaten it, it's all over the house, couch, comforter, etc. And in my car, if you put down both the drivers and passengers windows, a nifty dog hair tornado forms over the center console. lmao

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, HAIR! Cat hair is no better, I could stuff a mattress with all the hair I've picked up over the years, even though I brush my cat every day. But, you're right, I wouldn't give her up for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as I actually like vacuuming, I am not sorry that our shih-tzu does not shed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My new standard answer..."Yes, I sleep with my pets".

    http://completelycalifornia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the positive spin you put on this topic, to appreciate the work out you get in cleaning it all up! Cheaper than a gym and the rewards are far greater! Loved it. I feel better already about the hair everywhere...!

    ReplyDelete